This is a project scheme for international LMTV (projects lasting for 3-12 months) in, by, or for Asia. LMTV has been rapidly developed in Asia with creating unique impact to improve the situations of the environment, culture, development and so on, to activate the local communities and to promote intercultural understanding and friendship naturally, widely and deeply among the volunteers (mostly youth) and local people. It is also distinguished as one of powerful tools to grow up “global human resources” expected in many of universities, companies and governments.
In Europe, an exchange scheme of Long Term Volunteers named EVS (European Voluntary Service) has been actively organized since 1996 by collaboration between European Commission and NGOs in each country. As there is no such a wide inter-governmental agency in the whole Asia, NGOs have even a bigger role and mission to lead creation of AVS (Asian Voluntary Service) that could bring huge benefits for the betterment of the societies as well as stronger collaboration, promotion and quality improvement of international voluntary service NGOs by having common, standardized scheme.
Aims and Expected Impact:
A. General aims applying to all projects
- Strengthen solidarity & positive peace in Asia.
- Improve the social situations by direct actions.
- Promote volunteerism and active citizenship.
- Grow friendship/ inter-cultural understanding.
- Develop global human resources and capacities
B. Specific aims depending on the themes
- Environment: Forests, Climate change, etc.
- Development: Poverty, Health, Disaster, etc.
- Culture: Heritage, Diversity, Creation, etc.
- Education: Formal, Informal, Non-formal, etc.
- Human rights: Children, refugees, etc.
By these outcomes, we aim to create a sustainable, fair and peaceful world where various types of ecologies/ cultures/ personalities/ communities can harmoniously co-exist and be glittered with their own characters beyond limitation of the present modern civilizations which have caused too much expansion/ competition and huge destruction of nature, traditions and human relationship.